Friday, March 29, 2013

The Footprints in My Sand


      My initial goal when I started this blog was to post at least once a week, and it's been almost two weeks since my first post so I figure I owe you guys a couple posts in the next few days. Lucky for me, I've had quite a few memorable experiences since my last post. I just had to decide which ones to write about first  and then make time to type it all out. This last Sunday, I went back to Idaho for one missionary farewell, but I ended up going to three. Each one of these missionary farewells was different from the others, but I left each missionary farewell feeling extremely blessed and full of the spirit. I've decided to write a post about each of these missionary farewells and how each one had an impact on me spiritually. 
     This post is going to be about the last of the three farewells I went to Sunday. This farewell was for one of my best friends. I didn't plan on going at first though because it was just his YSA ward farewell, and I was already planning on going to his home ward farewell a few weeks later. I initially turned down his invitation to come, but eventually after some nudging, something inside me told me I needed to go so I did. 
     When I first got to the sacrament meeting, I could tell that the atmosphere of this ward was different from anything I had experienced before. Compared to my singles' ward back in Salt Lake City, there was hardly anyone here. The place was quiet, and there was barely anyone there. We were welcome with a smile by the bishopric though, and we took our seats in the pews as my friend went to take his seat up on the stand. After the sacrament, the time had come for my friend to give his talk. I can honestly say I didn't know what to expect at first. My friend was a funny guy when he wanted to be and he was pretty smooth with the ladies, but I hadn't had many opportunities to hear him talk in church or in seminary. He admitted to me earlier in the day that he had written the whole talk last night, but his talk was fantastic though! Not that I would say I didn't see it coming, but he really knew his stuff. He's definitely a spiritual giant of sorts in my book. 
     There was one part of his talk that struck a chord with me though. This was when he read a poem most of you are probably very familiar with called "Footprints in the Sand." Just like the rest of you, I had heard this poem plenty of times before. I even gave a volunteer devotional in seminary about it during my sophomore year in high school using one of my mom's key chains that had the poem inscribed on it. I have never had such a power spiritual experience with it though then I did that day in that almost empty chapel as my friend read it to the congregation. I can count the times I have seen this friend cry on one hand, and yet here he was up on the stand trying not to choke up as he read this simple poem many of us have never even given much thought to at all even though we hear it quite often. The spirit I felt as he struggled to get through this poem was so powerful. I went home and reflected upon the poem and what it meant to me. 
     "Footprints in the Sand" is initially about one man's reflection of his life and his realization of just how much the Lord has helped him throughout his life. After reading through the poem again a few times, I reflected upon my own life. I can see times in my life where there are two sets of footprints in the sand as I walked with the Lord, and I can see times in my life where I only see one set of footprints in the sand because the Lord carried me. As I thought more about the footprints in my sand, I realized there was more to it than just those two examples. As I looked deeper, I saw times in my life where there were still two sets of footprints in the sand, but my footprints were far away from his because I had chose to stray away from Him. Sometimes these instances were short-lived and my footprints quickly returned to the spot next to his, but there were also times when this was not the case. During these times, my footprints were far away from his for quite some time, and it appeared as if they had no intention of turning back. That was until I slowly began to see more sets of footprints appear in the sand. These footprints didn't belong to the Lord. He was still out of my reach. These footprints belonged to the people in my life who the Lord had sent to help slowly bring me back to Him. They were the footprints of the people who I am privileged to call my friends. As I look at the footprints in the sand, I can see how these people clung to both sides of me and held my hands as they slowly showed me the way back to the Lord. The best part of this entire story is that I can still see those footprints walking next to mine. My friends brought me back to the Lord, but they never left me either. Not only do I stand tall and walk next to the Lord again now, but I also have my friends there standing next to me and supporting me every step of the way. There aren't just two sets of footprints in my sand. There are too many to count, and I couldn't be more grateful for all the different people in my life that these footprints belong to. As each one of them reads this post, I want to thank them for everything they have done. Thank you for coming to get me when I had strayed too far from the Lord. Thank you for helping guide me back to Him. Thank you for staying with me once I found the Lord again. Thank you for being the footprints in my sand.

Footprints In The Sand
--Author Mary Stevenson--
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. 
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. 
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. 
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, 
other times there was one only. 
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, 
when I was suffering from anguish, 
sorrow or defeat, 
I could see only one set of footprints, 
so I said to the Lord, 
“ You promised me Lord, 
that if I followed you, 
you would walk with me always. 
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life 
there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. 
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”
The Lord replied, 
“ The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, 
my child, is when I carried you.”



No comments:

Post a Comment